Clinic 9 and Headspace have joined forces to offer young people a free and confidential clinical sexual health service.
Clinic 9 staff have established a successful partnership with Headspace offering weekly sexual health testing services to young people aged 14-25 years. Clinics are held every Wednesday from 2.30pm to 4.30pm at Headspace. If you’re not sure whether you need to have a test, come in and have a chat to the nurses about how to stay healthy and what you need to know when you do start testing.
It is a free and confidential service and walk-ins are welcome or you can book an appointment through Headspace on (02) 9393 9699.
“We’re very happy to be able to offer this service through Headspace,” said Ms Jo Lenton, Clinical Nurse Consultant, Sexual Health, Far West LHD. “A healthy sex life is pretty simple. It’s important to get tested regularly and use condoms.”
Reasons to consider having a sexual health check-up:
- At the beginning of a new relationship, particularly if you don’t plan to use condoms.
- If you have recently ended a relationship.
- If you have had unsafe sex or believe there was some risk to your health during a sexual encounter.
- If you have genital symptoms such as pain, discharge, itching, etc.
- If you think you might have an STI.
- If your partner has recently had an STI.
- If you want information on preventing pregnancy.
- if you get paid for sex work.
- if you have frequent changes in sexual partners.
- if you have sex with people outside your relationship.
- If you are concerned about some aspect of your sexual health.
Clinic 9 also offers free sexual health testing services from the Broken Hill Community Health Centre.
These clinics are Monday to Friday, 7:30am to 5:30pm and you do not need a Medicare card. Clinic 9 offers screening and treatment of STIs, pregnancy testing and options, vaccinations, contraception advice and choices, and cervical screening. Testing, treatment and management for Hepatitis B and C are also available.
“Sexual health testing should be a normal part of your routine to keep yourself healthy!” said Ms Lenton.
“The decision to get tested for STIs is a personal decision and staff at Clinic 9 can discuss with you what tests to have based on your sexual history and potential risk for STIs,” she said.
Any enquires please call 08 8080 1100 and ask to speak to one of the nurses at Clinic 9.