The Far West Local Health District is launching a new value based quality care initiative to provide seamless support for patients with chronic conditions and help improve their health outcomes and self-management of those conditions.
The ‘Leading Better Value Care (LBVC)’ program will be launched by the health service in Broken Hill on Tuesday 21 November in partnership with NSW Health’s Agency for Clinical Innovations (ACI) and supported by Western NSW Primary Health Network (WNSWPHN).
“The LBVC seeks to identify and implement opportunities for delivering value based care to the people of NSW,” said Far West LHD Chronic and Complex Care Manager, Ms Georgina Drewery.
“All clinical initiatives will give patients and families an opportunity to voice their health journey experience through Patient Reported Experience Measures (PREMS) and improved patient health outcomes through Patient Reported Outcomes Measures (PROMS).
“The opportunities are grouped into three categories: Clinical Initiatives, Commissioning and Contestability, and Workforce Capability,” she said.
Of the three categories, the eight clinical initiatives – supported by the ACI or Clinical Excellence Commission (CEC) – which introduce new or improved models of care for:
- Management of Osteoarthritis (ACI)
- Osteoporotic Refracture Prevention (ACI)
- Diabetes High Risk Foot Services (ACI)
- Inpatient Management of Diabetes Mellitus (ACI)
- Management of Chronic Heart Failure (ACI)
- Management of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (ACI)
- Renal Supportive Care (End Stage Kidney Disease) (ACI)
- Adverse Events: Falls in Hospitals (CEC)
The 8 clinical initiatives implementation will be steered by a team led by the following clinical leads:
- Nurse Practitioner Chronic and Complex Care
- Clinical Nurse Consultant Chronic and Complex Care
- Clinical Nurse Consultant Renal
- Diabetic Educator
- Clinical Nurse Specialist Chronic and Complex Care
- Clinical Nurse Specialist Falls and Dementia
- Musculoskeletal Coordinator
- Aboriginal Health Practitioner Chronic and Complex Care
This team will work closely with the patient’s GP as the main caregiver in Broken Hill and reach out to the Far West LHD remote sites.
The Leading Better Value Care in the Far West LHD will be launched at the University Department of Rural Health (UDRH) on Tuesday 21 November from 6pm to 9.15pm.
The launch will include an outline of the 8 Leading Better Value Care Initiatives and target medical, nursing and allied health professionals and other stakeholders. “This education will have relevance for all GPs, Primary Health providers, and multidisciplinary health professionals,” said Ms Drewery.
Guest speakers at the launch from the ACI include:
- Cathryn Cox, Executive Director, Health System Planning & Investment Branch, Ministry of Health
- Liz Hay, A/Director, Economics and Analytics, Ministry of Health
- Dr Harvey Lander, Director Systems Improvement, CEC
- Melissa Tinsley, Manager Health Outcomes, ACI
- Anthea Temple, A/Director Acute Care, ACI
- Jennifer Tragardh, Project Officer, Musculoskeletal Network, ACI
- Marina Davis, Network Manager, Acute Care Projects Team, ACI