Far West locals are benefiting from a partnership between the State Library, the Agency for Clinical Innovation (ACI) and the Far West Local Health District.
The partnership is bringing the latest evidence-based information on managing chronic pain to local libraries across NSW during National Pain Week.
The local library involved is Broken Hill City Library.
Chronic pain is pain which persists for more than three months or beyond the usual time for tissue healing. It is real, not imagined and affects one in five people in NSW, interfering with their daily lives, work and relationships.
Improving access to the latest scientific information on how to better manage chronic pain is one of many healthcare improvement activities of the ACI, the lead agency working to design and promote better healthcare for NSW.
Earlier this year, the Minister for Health Jillian Skinner launched the ACI Pain Management Network’s website and a separate consumer book collection which has been distributed to participating public libraries across NSW.
The book collection complements the ACI Pain Management Network’s website, which is already making a difference with over 82,000 views since its launch in March.
To promote awareness of National Pain Week 2014, the ACI has added two more consumer books to the collection, providing additional evidence-based guides on managing pain.
Visitors to the ACI Pain Management Network website can access:
- Interactive learning and self-management modules for young people
- Online resources that promote self-management to help people to retrain their brain’s response to chronic pain
- Inspirational videos of people young and old sharing their experience of how adopting an evidence based approach to pain made a real difference to their daily lives
- Practical tools and resources to help people with chronic pain to improve daily sleep and mood, guidance on the role of pain medication and the importance of healthy lifestyles
- A health professional toolkit that includes assessment and management tools for doctors and healthcare professionals working in the community, factsheets for patients and information on NSW Pain Clinics.
National Pain Week 2014 runs from 21-27 July 2014, for more information visit: www.nationalpainweek.org.au
Visit the ACI Pain Management network website:
Read more about ACI initiatives at: www.eih.health.nsw.gov.au